Weekend Review: Dec 13 – 16

A busy weekend for climbing and we’ve got some results.  Still waiting on others, let me know if you have them!

Friday, December 13, 2013

The Showdown – RockSpot, Boston, MA   Highlight video   Pics by Chris Motta

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Dark Horse 3 – MetroRock, Everett, MA  Dark Horse 5.3 Results   Pics from Gkwan Photo  Pics from Cold House Media
A video, from Robyn Erbesfield-Raboutou, of some epic spotting!  Highlight video from Louder Than 11.

Pumped Out – Of Rock and Chalk, Newmarket, ON

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Infinity Series Dyno Comp – Stone Age Rock Gym, Manchester, CT

Monday, December 16, 2013

NCBS – Coyote Rock Gym, Ottawa, ON   Results

This was one loooong weekend for me and my caddy.  We checked in at The Showdown around 5pm on Friday night.  (Yay for hitting Boston right at rush hour on a Friday:/)  We didn’t leave the gym until after 2am.  Yikes!!  I sent all five problems in Round 1, flashing 4 out of 5.  I then climbed 4 out of 5 problems in Round 2, flashing 3 of them.  I never got problem #2, which was a super balancey problem that I couldn’t zero in on in the few attempts I was able to fit into the time.  My score was good enough to move on to the finals round, but I didn’t make it long in finals.  The pro finals didn’t start until around 11:15pm and I didn’t know when I was going (or even if I had made it) until they called my name as on-deck.  I scurried up to the wall and flashed problem 1, but the big, dynamic move in the middle of Problem 2 had my number.

It was a fun comp and I thought I did fairly well considering the format did not play to my strengths.  I was most impressed that I managed to stay awake for the whole comp.  It was great to see old friends and some impressive climbing, especially from some of the citizens in finals (what stamina!).  I finished in 20th in the pro division.  I was also the top female finisher, although they did not officially score the men and women separately.

Bedtime was after 3am and it was up at at ’em the next morning for Dark Horse.  I was overtired and underfed for this comp.  My fingertips hurt before I even touched a hold.  And I was freezing (I don’t think I was the only one who thought it was chilly in there).  But I was pretty laidback and didn’t get too worried about my performance.  Again, I was just happy I was able to stay awake.  So although I didn’t climb anywhere near my capabilities, I did all right and kept those demons at bay.

The drive back was extremely long and slow due to the steady snow and lack of plowing in Massachusetts.  The roads were better in NY, but by then visibility was becoming a bigger issue.  We didn’t make it home until almost 2am and then Colt had to hop out and snowblow enough of the driveway to get the car in the garage.  Gold star to my caddy for staying motivated all weekend despite the lack of sleep!

Time to hit the gym and get a good chunk of training in before the comps pick up again in mid-January.

This entry was posted in Comp Results, Dark Horse, NCBS and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

What are your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.